Saturday, November 13, 2010

Death of a Shirt


I have a story. This story is about a shirt, not just any shirt but Jeff's favorite shirt. I got it for him when we were engaged. Jeff had come out to California so we could take engagement pictures. I can't remember if I didn't like what he'd brought or what but I ended up going shopping for something he could wear for pictures while he stayed home. I found the perfect shirt, his color, his size, and coordinated perfectly with what I was wearing (but not matching)! I looked at the price tag and bam! That was a lot for a shirt, not completely outrageous, not put it down and walk away expensive, but debatable. So I debated with myself, and finally thought "this is a once in a life time thing. We'll NEVER take engagement pictures again and it's perfect, I'm getting it." I bought it and went home totally stoked I'd found something.
WELL..... I gave it to Jeff and he saw how much it cost and pretty much had a meltdown or maybe it was more like a freak out. Anyway he REALLY let me know how he felt about the price of this shirt, he couldn't believe how much I'd spent on a shirt and that I had to take it back etc. etc. etc. And just because he told me to take it back, I DID NOT. (Jeff has since learned how get what he wants from me). So what happened you ask? He wore the shirt and then wore it again and then wore it at least twice a week since then. It is his absolute favorite shirt in the world. I even asked him once if he could not wear that shirt only because I was tired of it!
Now, fast forward 4 years to this morning and you would see him and I joking about the story of said shirt and laughing at how ticked he was that I'd bought it. Then tonight you'd hear a scream from the bedroom and Jeff yelling "nooooo!" and you'd see my husband mourning the loss of his favorite shirt. It just couldn't make it one more day and what started as a small hole in the back is now a huge gash. I cannot pretend to know his pain but I too have a favorite pair of sweats I will mourn when they pass. So while there will never be another collared shirt like it their will be others and this too shall pass. To all the favorite clothes in the world, Rest in Peace.








6 comments:

The Running Kidd said...

This is SOOO funny Kapri!! I love it! Ryan definitely has had some favorite shirts that have passed (or has he calls it..."retired them"). He will find a new shirt to love just as much!

Kaeli & Kyle said...

Haha I hate when that happens. Have you seen the Sienfeld about "Golden Boy"? Jerrys favorite shirt? Its a must see for Jeff :) May it RIP.

Fab Five said...

Yeah I was wondering if he had any other shirts besides that one. I was getting sick of it too! :) I just got rid of a bunch of Ryan's t-shirts and he almost cried. I can't wait to get rid of my clothes because it gives me an excuse to buy new ones!

Sis. Stokes said...

Just don't throw it away! You can totally repurpose it into something else!

Kristine Watterson said...

That is a great idea from Sis. Stokes, what about a pillow? Or a cover for a boppy, for the baby!
Rob still has a red lucky t-shirt I gave him 15 years ago, that he WILL NOT let me throw away. I feel your pain, the pictures of him in that shirt are hilarious!

Kayleen said...

I can't tell you how many times I have thrown Terry's old shirt in the rag bin only to see him wearing it a few days later!